Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Just Call me - Mystic Meg

[ This update is a bit like a copy of "House & Gardens". If you don't want to be bothered with the rantings of a Bernese, just look at the pictures !! - remember "click to enlarge"]


I was born with this uncanny ability to know what the humans are up to and planning. And I just knew as the weather is improving, there was something they were not telling me. BUT I knew, it was inevitable with sunny days, they have an obsession to - BATH me............. and as I do you this blog, I can confirm that after a full bottle of conditioner, I am VERY fluffy, and smell like a whores handbag ! I know not why they have this need to see me humiliated and dripping wet. I will just have to accept its part of life ( and I must admit to you my readers – don’t tell dads – I feel great, its much cooler with all that under fur removed !) I also get my own back, as they have to have the Hoover out all the time as I am creating “tumble fur” all over the house, as my under fur continues to fall away – I just smile.

Do you think I look ferocious barking in our drive ? its just my welcome to you !This is a view of our village from the top of the Church Spire. Our house is where the yellow dot is
And this is a view of the Church from our drive, the huge trees must be as old as the church itself


It’s also the rural life we have here, that there is very little I can tell you in this my blog that will get you excited and envious of us. We do have some fantastic scenery to keep us feeling good. Early summer is just fantastic, and with so many walk around our village, I am always happy. Although I have not been taken on the longer walks we have, but I am taking pity on Dad who is having problems with his joints, and would find the long walks a bit uncomfortable – But soon I am sure we will be back to normal. We look like we will be having a bumper crop of grapes, they are taking over our garden room. I don’t have a problem at my height, but dads have to duck bunches of grapes hanging from the roof. The only problem, we will be back in Spain before they are ready, so they will just have to decorative for now.

This amazing field of red poppies is just on the edge of the village

Looks great, dad said the Taliban must live near by !Then on the other side of the village we have fields of Flax (Linseed), sweeping blue as far as you can see.

Dad did a close up to show you the little pale blue flowers - ain't he kind ?

The flowers and shrubs that are in bloom in our garden look great this year, all the work our friends next door while we were away during the winter. Alan says it would be nice to have plants like that in Spain, but we will just have to enjoy them while we are here.

Dads pride and joy, our little front terrace (afternoon bubble spot) in full bloom. I use the water feature as a drinking fountain !

This side of the garden room is black grapes (not yet there not ripe !) Its nearly always as hot as Spain in here, with the glass roof.


And this side its green grapes (even when they are not ripe !)

In Spain we have a yellow one, but we have a lilac one here in Fulbeck - Bougainvillea - likes the indoor atmosphere.

My walks seem to revolve around Alan's foraging in hedgerows. Its those white flowers in the hedge again think he calls it Elderflower. I like it too cus it gives me extra time to investigate while hes picking it. It all goes back to the kitchen where friends get it served up as warm tempura battered flower heads served with the afternoon "bubbles". Or turns into cordial and adds it to fresh picked local early season gooseberry's and makes Ice Cream. Or just added to sparkling water as a cool drink. (that was scripted as I don't do Elderflower ! so don't know what he's on about). The wild garlic season is also on us so these leaves will be in everything soon. Not that I mind ,as you all know I drool for garlic (garlic bread or dough balls being favourite).

I dare not upset Esmeralda, one of our cats. Dad says they have a cauldron in the cemetery, and they stir it every night, casting spells on the unsuspecting ! I don't wont to wake a Chiwawa ***
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Alan scavenging the hedgerows for Elderflowers, soon it will be wild garlic, then wild plums, damsons, crab apples, rose hips and of course sloes. Just like the "Good Life", I not saying who's tom and who's Barbra !!

On the subject of my walks, I do have to share my favourite areas with the locals. There is Watership Down, so many rabbits running around you get dizzy seeing them hop about. I now have to be careful where I walk along the hedgerow, as there are Badger holes large enough for me to fall in (well nearly - they are about 12" diameter), not spotted any yet though. Then I seem to be something of a celebrity with the baby calf's. They line up along the fence of their field and stare, quite disconcerting. I don't get to close with them now, as once I went to see them and a load of their mums started to run to them, we thought they would flatten the fence and get to me, so stay clear is the motto.

Almost home from my walk (bag of flower heads in hand). See how quiet our neighbours are !

The main road into our village, so nice in early summer (now its arrived !)

My favourite sniffing lane, just around the corner from our house.

Now look in amazement !!** Our new village vineyard - just been planted, so no hope for dads having a bottle of local plonk just yet !

I do get to go with them to the next villages when they go shopping. I make sure they don’t forget to get my freshly baked sausage roll for the bakery ( the lady in there knows me and has one waiting for me ) . And of course our local butcher keeps us stocked with yummy meat, and deli food we are so lucky with so much local food. Then there is the pub next door, which has, so dads say, new chefs and have a great menu of daily local dishes. Not that they go there often, but it’s always a backup, when they are to stressed to cook – poor souls.......... They also tell me there is a new eatery in the next village that has very interesting food – so I expect they will try it soon. Needless to say I will not be allowed to join them – this is Britain, the pet loving nation, as long as we are not in places with them !!!


A picture from last year. A view across the back of the village from the church tower.

Guy trying to look cool (in fact trying not to look over the edge - he doesn't like heights.


Quite medieval in'it


So that’s life here, I have been visiting my “girls” Bracken and Lucy next door, they are always happy to see me, but they always want me to play with their toys, they don’t understand I DON'T do toys, I think they think I am a dog !

The calf nursery, they are always staring at me, must think I am one of them but escaped, and grown my hair long to rebel.


We have our friend Rose from London visiting next week, it will be our first guest this summer – actually that’s not true we did have Guys eldest son Max, my mate, here a couple of weeks ago for a weekend, quite a lot of cuddles. So another fun few days entertaining coming up, and the weather is getting better, how much fun can one have !

I will leave you with some of the nice pictures of our village.

Hasta Luego

LEOPOLD

No comments:

Post a Comment